Tide Celebrates 15 Years of NASCAR Racing – Hickory, NC (July 30, 2002) — Tide Racing will be celebrating 15 years as a primary sponsor in NASCAR Winston Cup Series racing this weekend at the Brickyard. In addition to their regular #32 Winston Cup entry of Ricky Craven, they will also sponsor Darrell Waltrip’s #17 Craftsman Truck in the Friday event at Indianapolis Raceway Park. Both teams will sport Tide’s “retro” look, which goes back to their original Tide “America’s Favorite” logo for the paint schemes and white crew uniforms.
“Being behind the Tide wheel is a dream for me. I am so proud to be associated with Tide and honored to be sharing this weekend with Darrell. I hope some of that DW magic rubs off on me. Our hope is to bring home two victories during the Indianapolis weekend.”
“This is an exciting event, obviously one of the four biggest races of the year. When you combine that with Tide’s 15th anniversary celebration, we’re expecting a fantastic weekend.”
“PPI Motorsports has a great record of finishes in the Brickyard 400 and we want to put ourselves in position to back it up in 2002.”
Jeff (Hammond) and I want to thank Tide for including us in this special weekend. We are so happy to be reunited with Tide again and I have such fond memories of driving the #17 Winston Cup car to victory lane.” idn poker
Brian McNamara (Tide Brand Manager):
“Reaching the milestone of 15 years as a primary sponsor in Winston Cup is an occasion for celebration. What better way than to have both Darrell and Ricky driving in the same weekend in vehicles that pay tribute to the early days of Tide Racing. We want to thank the NASCAR fans for their support along the way and hope they enjoy this trip back in history.”
- Tide’s involvement began in 1987 with Hendrick Motorsports and Darrell Waltrip.
- Tide sponsored teams have raced to 19 victories including the Daytona 500 (Waltrip, 1989) and the Brickyard 400 (Rudd, 1997)
- Tide drivers have included Darrell Waltrip (1987-1990), Ricky Rudd (1991-1999), Scott Pruett (2000) and Ricky Craven (2001-present)
- Tide as a sponsor has 5 victories at Martinsville, 3 victories at Lowe’s Motor Speedway, 2 victories at Dover and one victory at Daytona, Atlanta, Bristol, Darlington, Michigan, New Hampshire, Phoenix, Rockingham and Indianapolis
- Of the Tide victories, Waltrip won 9, Rudd won 9 and Craven has one.
Did you know that when Tide signed on as a NASCAR sponsor in 1987…
- Ronald Reagan was President and Mikhail Gorbachev was his Russian counterpart. They had a historic meeting in Washington that year
- The stock market crashed, losing over 500 points in October
- Beverly Hills Cop III was at the top of the box office
- Madonna led the pop charts with “Open Your Heart”
- The Cosby Show was the #1 rated sitcom on television
- Michael Douglas won “Best Actor” for his portrayal of Gordon Gecko in ‘Wall Street’
- U2 had the album of the year, “The Joshua Tree”
- The Giants beat the Broncos 39-20 in Super Bowl XXI